Mother's Day Heart


Celebrating Mother's Day this weekend, I am sharing you a heart pattern that I have created sometime back. Initially I wanted to design a new one but I realised that I may not be able to complete it in time for today.

I have been reading a number of posts in InTatters about the daisy picot rings. I recalled that there was a heart that I designed with daisy picot rings in it and that I have not written the pattern for it. This will be a good opportunity to have the design documented.

This is the chart for the heart.


Some notes about the chart and written pattern -
  • Please read the chart together with the written instructions. I have not found a way of drawing a clear tatting diagram for daisy picot rings.
  • The loops shown in green are not rings but long picots.
  • The stitch count of (5-2-2-2-2-5) refer to yellow 'ring' of the daisy picot.
Load two shuttles with a different colour in each shuttle, and matching coloured beads On Shuttle 1 (white thread), string with 39 beads. String 63 beads on Shuttle 2 (pink thread).

Tie the two threads together and start with a daisy picot ring for the centre of the heart.
To learn more about how to make a daisy picot ring, please see my tutorial for a daisy picot ring .

With Sh1, make a loop for a ring, starting with (1lp1), where lp is a long picot of about 0.5in long when closed (1in when open).

Use Sh2 to make the first ring of the daisy picot. The stitch count for this is (5-2-2-2-2-5).

(*)Switch shuttle (SS) and make the next set of stitches (1lp1).
SS, make the second ring of the daisy picot with the following stitch count (5+2-2-2-2-5). Join this ring at the first picot to the last picot of the previous daisy ring. The join is made as you would make a join on the unflipped side of a split ring.

Repeat from (*) until there are five rings (in pink) altogether in the daisy picot, and five long picots, (in white).

Finish with the last two ds with a long picot in between), (1lp1).

Arrange the long picots so that they are lying on top of the pink daisy ring. Close the ring by pulling the thread of Shuttle 1.

Reverse work for the next part of the heart. Make a SLT before starting to switch the position of the thread.

Start with a long chain C(5[3b]5[3b]5[3b]5[3b]5), placing three beads where indicated by [3b]. Reverse work.
R(4[1b]4+4-4), placing one bead where indicated by [1b], and joining to the middle picot of the last ring of the daisy ring. Reverse work.
C(5[3b]5). Reverse work.
R(4+4[3b]4-4), join to last picot of previous ring, lppr. Reverse work.
C(6[3b]6). Reverse work.
R(4+4[3b]4-4), join to lppr. Reverse work.
C(5[3b]5). Reverse work.
R(4+4[b3]4-4), join to lppr. Reverse work.
C(4[3b]4). Reverse work.
R(4+4[b3]4-4), join to lppr. Reverse work.
C(4[3b]4). Reverse work.
R(4+4[b3]4-4), join to lppr. Reverse work.
C(4[3b]4). Reverse work.
R(4+4[3b]4-4), join to lppr. Reverse work.
C(6[3b/1b], taking 3 beads from the top thread and 1 bead from the lower thread. Reverse work.

Repeat the other side of the heart in reverse sequence. Cut thread and tie to the beginning and hide ends.

If you wish to use different coloured beads for the rings and the chains, like I did in the picture, string the beads for Shuttle 1 as follows -
First string 19 beads to the thread of Shuttle 1. Then add one bead that you are going to use for the chain followed by another 19 beads of the previous colour.

I have tried to explain the pattern in writing as clearly as possible. Please e-mail me if you need further help with this pattern.

Addendum (sort of)
I have this feeling that I may have confused some of you with the instructions for the daisy heart centre. Here is an enlarged diagram of the centre with the ammended stitch count.


In simple terms, this is how you make it ....

Make a loop for a ring with shuttle 1. This is the core thread for the ring. The ring is shown in yellow in the diagram.
Then make 1 ds, a long picot, 1 ds, the usual way, i.e. flipped as normal. The long picot is shown in green in the diagram

With the core thread still round the fingers, switch to shuttle 2.
Make unflipped double stitches, (5-2-2-2-2-5) with Sh2 on the core thread. I will call this the first petal of the daisy picot.

(*)Switch to Sh 1. Make 1 ds, a long picot, 1 ds, flipped as usual.

Switch to Sh 2. Make unflipped ds with Sh 2, (5+2-2-2-2-5), joining to the last picot of the first petal of the daisy.

Repeat the two steps from (*) THREE times more to get five daisy petals and five long picots altiogether.

Finish the centre by making 1 ds, long picot, 1 ds, flipped as usual, using Sh 1.

Then, pull the thread of Sh 1 to close the ring. Make sure you arrange the long picots properly before closing the ring so that they are positioned on top of the daisy petals.

Comments

  1. Bless your heart, Jon! What a sweet little heart to make as a tribute to your beloved Mother! ((Hugs)) to you, Dear Jon, I lost my Mother, too and I know Mother's Day can be a challenging time of year. God bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, TattingChic. You are a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a kind thing to do...sharing your heart pattern with the rest of us in Tattingland. It is so nice of you. Your heart is so pretty!! I think I might be tatting a heart on Mother's Day. Thank you so much Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! THIS IS REALLY NICE!!!!

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perfect, Jon - a tribute to all our mothers, thank you so much for giving us the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Jon for the beautiful heart. Happy mother's day to u.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The heart pattern is beautiful, Jon! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jon! What a wonderful tribute to your mom! Yes, I too understand what your feeling. Like TattingChic, I lost my mom also. But...we have the memories...*smile*

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is indeed a very very pretty heart Jon. Thank You for the pattern.
    Luv,
    Vinnie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a lovely heart Jon. Thank you - I'll add it to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful work, thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the beautiful pattern, Jon. It's a lovely tribute to your Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to everyone who have commented here. I am happy to be able to share it with all you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful design, my eldest son lives in Singapore so never remembers Mothering Sunday in UK, which was in March this year, but I bet he will phone tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Jon. It's a lovely heart and I am looking forward to tatting it. You do lovely work and I appreciate you thinking of us. I hope you have a wonderful day. I lost my Mother many years ago but I have sweet, precious memories to think about on this day. Wishing you a sweet day of memories too...hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely lovely! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jon: Thank you very much. My mom loves tatted hearts. She cannot been able to learn how to tat but she is trying hard. She is 81 years young now. She is visiting my brothers who live in another city so we will not be together this mothers day, so I will have enough time before she comes back to tat this for her. I will do my best to do it since I am very far from being an expert in tatting. Thanks again.
    Alba Alicia - Tijuana Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jon, this heart is just lovely. I'm sorry I didn't post it in time for Mother's Day. But I did post a link to the pattern on my blog today. I hope it brings you a few extra clicks.

    Denise
    http://needlework.craftgossip.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Jon, this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must have missed this one! Thanks - it's gorgeous!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jon,
    I am new to tatting and I've chosen to use a needle. Do the patterns read the same for tatting needles as they do for shuttles? If so, then I will attempt this for my Mother-In-Law as this year's card insert. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Nona,
    I am not familiar with needle tatting so much but I think there may be a slight difference in reading the patterns. However, I have received comments from needle-tatters who have successfully tatted my patterns.

    I see that you are new to tatting. Please note that this patterns has the Daisy Picot technique in it. It is a slightly advanced technique and I totally have no idea on how to do that with a needle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done some of both, and instead of ball and shuttle, or two shuttles, you just use two needles. And...btw.. split rings are sooooo much easier in needle tatting... just unthread the needle and tat at the other end of the needle, re-thread, and pull all the way through. Ta-da!

      I have found not much difference in the results between needle and shuttle work. I'm still a lot more relaxed with the needle, and it's a lot easier to pick out mistakes with needle, but people are much more impressed when they see someone using a shuttle, especially a pretty one, than just a really long needle. ;)

      Delete
  23. Hi Jon
    I've been searching for a heart pattern that I can convert into a bookmark and/or a Christmas tree ornament and/or a wristband which I will then donate to a charity that I am supporting this year so they can sell them to raise funds, and your pattern is the prettiest one I've found. The charity is Breathtakers OB Trust and it supports sufferers of a little known life-limiting condition called Obliterative Bronchiolitis. The only "cure" is a lung transplant. The condition is rare but all the more reason to provide support and information to people living with it. I wondered if you would let me use your pattern to raise funds?
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Julia,
    I am honoured that you have picked this heart pattern for your fund-raiser. Please e-mail me at jonyusoff (at) gmail (dot) com so I could give a personal reply to you.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much Jon, the pattern is so beautiful...! I just love all of your designs. You definitely have a great talent for designing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Jon.... I am quite new to shuttle-tatting, but I think I can handle this one. I've seen this on pinterest and Google images for several weeks, and now I am so excited to have found you, the creator of this beauty! I'm ashamed to admit that after seeing your name mentioned in many other tatting websites and blogs previously, that I was surprised that a man "Jon" was such a good tatter! LOL! I am delighted to have discovered your website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh KarenP, there are many great male tatters. One that will never miss a mention would be Jan Stawasz who had recently passed away.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it